Do You Own a Home In Need of Repairs?
Are You Considering Buying a Home?
The City of Clearwater's Housing division and its community partners may be able to help.
Down-payment and closing-costs assistance and/or rehabilitation loans are available for eligible households.
Homeownership Rehabilitation - Rehabilitation Flyer in PDF
The City of Clearwater can provide loans to help you rehabilitate your home.
- To be eligible for the City of Clearwater's Housing Rehabilitation Loan program, you must own and occupy a single-family home. Your rehabilitation plans must address all code related repairs found in the home.
- Financing of certain items such as appliances, window treatments, swimming pools and spas cannot be included as part of these programs.
- The assistance will be in the form of a deferred payment loan or low interest loan,depending on a household's income and nature of the rehabilitation. A deferred payment loan allows the borrower to delay repayment on the loan as long as they reside in the home (other conditions also apply).
- Emergency Repair loans are also available to correct serious home hazards such as roof and plumbing leaks and electrical problems.
Loan funds are available to help homebuyers cover part of their down payment and closing costs when purchasing a home.
The City of Clearwater through its approved non-profit housing agencies provides down payment and closing costs assistance to income eligible households who meet the program criteria. Assistance is provided in the form of a deferred payment loan with no interest and/or payments as long as the borrower does not sell, refinance, rent or otherwise transfer title of the property. The property to be purchased must be borrower's principal residence. Loans of up to $50,000 can be made depending on income level, the location of the home and whether the home is new or existing. Homes that receive assistance must be new construction or involve some form of rehabilitation to be eligible. The City will provide additional funds for persons desiring to build a home in one of the City’s Target Areas. The maximum sales price is $158,000 for existing homes and $203,000 for new homes. Loans are not provided for refinancing. Borrowers must attend a free Home Buyer Education workshop prior to receiving assistance. For more information on the workshops and program please contact one of the organizations listed.
Requirements for all programs
- Borrowers/Participants must meet program income guidelines
- Homes must be in the city limits of the City of Clearwater
- Borrowers/Participants must provide documentation on their household income and assets along with other program requirements
- All program are governed by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, The State of Florida - State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) Program and/or the City of Clearwater's - Economic Development and Housing Department - Housing Division
- An experienced Loan Officer will help determine if you or your households meet the guidelines for the program
Information you will need to provide
Borrowers/Participants seeking rehabilitation assistance must provide the following items at a minimum:
- A copy of the Warranty Deed
- Proof of Home Owner's Insurance
- Title Insurance Policy
- Income Eligibility