News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

City of Clearwater Political Sign Guidelines

Post Date:02/27/2018 10:26 AM

It’s political season in Clearwater, and political signs are everywhere advertising the candidates that will be on the ballot.

While the city supports the use of political signage, there are guidelines that need to be followed to properly display political signs.

Political signs, which fall under the city’s regulation of temporary signs, cannot be erected in any residential or commercial right of way in the city of Clearwater. The right of way is designed to be clear for a number of reasons, including public safety.

People who place political signage on a right of way could receive a response from a city code compliance officer. The actions of the code compliance officer may include seeking compliance, removal of illegal signage and/or notice to appear at the Pinellas County Circuit Court for non compliance.

Here are additional rules that explain what is permissible in Clearwater regarding political signs and what is not.

Where can Political Signs be Placed on Private Property

If property owners are allowing political signage on their property, the political signs must be placed five feet back from any property line on the property. To see the property lines on residential and commercial properties in Pinellas County, visit the Pinellas County Property Appraiser’s Office at 

Size of Political Signs

The size of a political sign on a residential property cannot be greater than four square feet.

The size of a political sign on commercial property cannot be greater than 16 square feet.

Height of Political Signs

Political signs cannot be taller than six feet in height on both residential and commercial properties.

Cleanup of Political Signs

Three days after the election, political signs must be removed from the property.

For more information or other questions regarding political signs, contact Daniel Knight, sign inspector with the city of Clearwater, at (727) 562-4732 or 

Return to full list >>