Hurricane Irma Update
No more sand available at Clearwater locations.
Post Date:09/08/2017 11:36 AM
Return to full list >>
Updated Information as of 9/8/17 at 11:15 a.m.
Clearwater Preparations/Closings/Cancellations Due to Hurricane Irma
CLEARWATER, Fla. – Due to the possible impact Hurricane Irma could have on our area, the city of Clearwater is taking precautions to ensure the safety of residents and visitors. Clearwater no longer has sand available and we do not expect to re-open the sand bag operation. Sand bags will help with minor flooding from a rain event but will have little impact with a storm surge event.
- All non-essential city facilities (recreation centers, libraries, city office buildings, etc.) will be closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Trash pickup will not be affected Friday and will continue as usual.
- Pinellas County officials approved a resolution for mandatory evacuations for Evacuation Zone A (beaches, low-lying areas, mobile homes) beginning at 6 a.m. Friday. A decision on evacuations of Levels B and C will be made on Friday evening.
- With the decision of the Pinellas County commission to enact a state of emergency and subsequent mandatory evacuation of Evacuation Zone A, the Clearwater Police Department will restrict access to Clearwater Beach beginning at 10 a.m. Friday. Officers will establish checkpoints at Court Street and Osceola Avenue and on Gulf Boulevard on Sand Key for that purpose. Only those with official beach re-entry passes or those who can prove they have legitimate business interests on the beach will be allowed to have access. At any time the weather deteriorates from the effects of Hurricane Irma, those restrictions could tighten, with a possible total ban on any travel to the beach. Drivers are asked to have their beach access permits hanging from their rear-view mirror to streamline the process. Passes can be obtained by going to the Clearwater Police Department on Friday during normal business hours.
- Emergency shelters in Clearwater:
- Oak Grove Middle School, 1370 S. Belcher Road (Opening at noon Friday)
- Because Clearwater Beach is in the Evacuation Zone A, Pier 60 will close at 10 p.m. Thursday and remain closed until Monday morning, weather permitting.
- Clearwater no longer has sand available and we do not expect to re-open the sand bag operation. Sand bags will help with minor flooding from a rain event but will have little impact with a storm surge event.
- Lifeguards will remain on duty until conditions deteriorate and become unsafe for staff.
- Parking garages in Clearwater will be open to public access (No boats and/or trailers) as during any regular evening and weekend operation. The city emphasizes to “park at your own risk,” and follow the city ordinance that allows for a 72 hour maximum time limit.
- Events cancelled or postponed:
- Saturday, September 9, 2017
- Pierce Street Market at Clearwater Harbor Promenade – postponed to Saturday, Sept. 16
- John Hancock Hosts the Cooking Light & Health Fit Foodie Festival at Clearwater Uplands, Memorial Causeway – Postponed to a date TBD
- Sunday, September 10, 2017
- Hooters to Hooters 5K and 10K – Postponed to a date TBD
- Bryan Adams Get Up! 2017 Tour – Postponed to a date TBD