General Rules and Regulations
Qualifying Motel Business Permits may be issued to motel business owners who have no parking for their motel guests. All motels with an address on North Mandalay Avenue that have fewer parking spaces than rooms would be eligible. The number of permits issued would equal the number of motel rooms the owner listed on the Business Tax Receipt minus the number of parking spaces listed for that address.
Annual permits may be purchased at $200 plus tax where applicable. Replacement permits (same expiration date) for lost/stolen permits would cost $500 each ($1.37 per day). It is the Motel owner’s responsibility to assign/collect the permits from their guests as they check in/out. The original permit must be displayed. Any vehicle displaying a copy of a Motel Permit will be ticketed. No exceptions.
Monthly rentals, cottages or vacation rentals do not qualify for the Motel Business permit program. The parking permits are designated for short term parking only.
BTR renewals start in October; the parking permits issued will be valid from October 1st through September 30th each year or prorated to expire with your BTR receipt. Each year, when the motel owner renews their Business Tax receipt, they will need to reapply for the Motel Parking Permit.
Requirements for Motel Business Permits:
- Business owner to provide current copy of Business Tax Receipt (BTR)
- Business owner submits official request, printed on business letterhead stationary which includes business name, address and telephone number stating the following:
- Number of rooms that need parking
- Statement verifying guest parking is not otherwise available and that the above information is in fact true and accurate
- The business owner, general manager or business owner designee must sign letter
The permit would be valid at one select location near the motel depending on the address as listed on their BTR. The availability for these spaces would still be first come first serve.
- Mandalay Ave – Street Spaces Only; North of Kendall St & Juanita Way (Metered, Timed, Marked Spaces)
- Lot 38 – Clearwater Beach Aquatic & Recreation Center Lot (Lot parking only)
- Lot 39 – McKay Field Lot (Lot parking only)
Upon receipt of the formal request the Parking System staff will physically go to the address and verify the number of parking spaces listed on the BTR records.
Abuse of this permit program or any other City of Clearwater Code/Ordinance violation can result in the City of Clearwater revoking the Motel Business Parking Permit privileges (no refunds).