Hurricane season is from June 1 - November 30. Prepare now!

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • When is garbage collected?

    Garbage is collected once a week for single-family residences. Collection schedules vary for commercial accounts and multifamily complexes. Call (727) 562-4920 for information on your specific collection schedule.

  • How should my garbage container be placed at the curb?

    Place containers within two feet of curb with the handle facing away from curb and at least three feet from any obstructions,  such as vehicles, mailboxes, recycling bins, trees, etc. Barrels should be at the curb no earlier than 7 p.m. on the night prior to collection day or no later than 7 a.m. that morning. Bring the container in by 7 a.m. on the day following collection.

  • How should I fill my garbage container?

    To properly fill your garbage container, follow these guidelines:

    • Drain and wrap or bag wet garbage
    • Nothing should stick out of the top or hang over the sides of the container
    • Cut long objects into short lengths so they will not stick out of, or become wedged in, the container
    • Don't place objects on top of closed lids or in front of containers
    • Don't place yard waste/debris in container

    For yard waste collection:

    • Cut tree limbs 4 inches in diameter or less into 4-foot lengths, bundle and place curbside
    • Bag uncontaminated twigs, loose leaves and grass or put in non-city garbage cans (up to 32 gallon) and place curbside
    • For large materials, cut limbs and stumps over 4 inches in diameter into lengths of 4 feet or less and stack curbside, clear of obstructions. Call (727) 562-4920 to arrange for removal of these and other very bulky yard waste piles.
  • What can't be discarded as garbage or trash?

    Try to recycle all that you can. Unacceptable waste includes hazardous waste (paint, auto fluids, batteries, household and pool chemicals), electronics, recyclables, yard waste, concrete, dirt, sod, sand, plaster, carpet, construction debris, tires, hot ashes, and flammable or biomedical waste.

    Mobile Collections are conducted each month at various locations throughout the county. See Pinellas County's calendar of upcoming mobile collection dates. For more information, call (727) 464-7500.

  • My garbage container has been damaged/vandalized. What should I do?

    To report damage to your black barrel or recycling bin, to order a replacement container, or to report repair/service needs, vandalism or graffiti, call Solid Waste at (727) 562-4920. For repairs, empty and wash out the damaged container and leave in front of the garage or next to the building/house. Be sure to provide the service address, telephone number and the ID number on the container's front.

  • What is hazardous waste?

    Hazardous wastes are corrosive, toxic, flammable and reactive substances that present a threat to public health, safety and the environment. Never place hazardous waste in garbage or recycling containers. Call (727) 464-7500 for more information.

    Mobile Collections are conducted each month at various locations throughout the county. See Pinellas County's calendar of upcoming mobile collection dates. For more information, call (727) 464-7500.

  • Where can I safely dispose of household hazardous waste such as batteries and paint?

    Hazardous waste including household and nickel cadmium batteries, oil-based paint, paint thinners, paint removers and solvents can be taken to Pinellas County's Household Chemical Collection Center at 2855 109th Ave. N., St. Petersburg, FL 33716. Hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call (727) 464-7500 for information.

    There are many additional options for automotive batteries, plus options for rechargeable and button cell batteries, as listed in Pinellas County's A to Z Guide, including information on the following:

    To dispose of latex paint, line a box with plastic. Crumple newspaper into the box. Pour all remaining paint onto the newspaper. Set the box out in the sun to dry out, along with paint cans and lids. When completely dried, put the box in a garbage bag and place into the regular garbage for collection.

    Mobile Collections are conducted each month at various locations throughout the county. See Pinellas County's calendar of upcoming mobile collection dates. For more information, call (727) 464-7500.

  • A professional tree trimming company has worked on my yard. Who is responsible for the yard waste?

    All debris generated in Clearwater by a contractor (tree surgeon, landscaper or arborist) must be removed and disposed of by the contractor, per City Ordinance 6391-99, Sec. 32.282 (1).

  • What should I do with used syringes?

    Sharps are items having the potential to puncture or lacerate and include syringes with attached needles and disposable lancets. A free, voluntary sharps exchange program is offered by Pinellas County, the Florida Department of Health, and local hospitals. Call the Department of Health's Environmental Health Division at (727) 588-4032 for information and a brochure that includes a list of exchange sites. Visit a participating site, and ask for an approved sharps container and instructions on use. When the container is full of discarded syringes, seal it as instructed and return it to one of the exchange sites for safe disposal.

  • Are garbage and recyclables picked up on holidays?

    The Solid Waste Department is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. For information about holiday collection schedules, call (727) 562-4920 or click here. Collection schedules on all other holidays remain unchanged.

  • What items can be recycled in Clearwater?

    Acceptable items are plastics #1-7, steel/aluminum cans, glass bottles/jars, milk/juice cartons, aerosol cans, corrugated cardboard, newspaper and mixed paper, which includes anything that tears, such as junk mail, magazines, catalogs, phone books, envelopes, office paper, wrapping paper, etc. There also is a recycling programs for households fats, oils and greases.

  • What should I do with old electronics such as computers, TVs, and microwaves?

    Electronic equipment should not be thrown out with the garbage. It contains hazardous components that should not be burned or dumped in the landfill. Electronic and hazardous waste include computer CPUs, monitors, keyboards, plotters, printers, interfaces, CD-ROM's, televisions, stereos, radios, VCRs, camcorders, microwaves, telephones, power supplies, hard drives, and other miscellaneous electronics. Take electronic or hazardous waste to the Pinellas County's Household Electronics & Chemical Collection Center at 2855 109th Ave. N., St. Petersburg, Fla. 33716.  Hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call (727) 464-7500 with questions.

  • How can I get rid of junk, old appliances or scrap metal?

    To dispose of old appliances and large metal items, place them separately at the curb and call (727) 562-4920 for special pick up. Drain hot water heaters and remove or secure all doors on refrigerators and freezers. Have all refrigerants removed from refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners by a professional before placing at curb. Junk, furniture, and other bulk items can be placed in their own pile at the curb on your collection day. Smaller items (dishes, clothing, etc.) should be bagged.

  • Where can I get free mulch?

    Yard waste is converted into weed-free mulch at the Pinellas County mulching facility. It is then offered back free to residents at the Solid Waste/Recycling Complex, 1701 N. Hercules Ave., and at the Moccasin Lake Environmental Education Center, 2750 Park Trail Lane. Call (727) 562-4920 with questions.

  • What is accepted for recycling curbside in Clearwater?

    Acceptable materials include plastic containers #1 to #7, newspaper, glass, corrugated cardboard, cartons such as milk/juice boxes, aluminum and steel/tin cans, aerosol cans, and mixed paper. Mixed paper includes anything that tears, such as office paper, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, shredded paper, phone books, soft cover books, cereal boxes, envelopes (including window envelopes), shoe boxes, wrapping paper and file folders.

  • What items can't be recycled?

    The city currently does not accept Styrofoam, aluminum foil, pie plates, plastic bags, film or wrap for recycling at this time. Plastic grocery bags can be taken to any grocery store for recycling. Check Pinellas County's A-Z Guide for convenient, local options for recycling plastic bags, egg cartons, sports equipment, and more.

  • How do I get a blue recycling barrel?

    If there is no barrel at your house when you move in or to sign up for service, call (727) 562-4920 a barrel and information on your new service collection day.