Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • My water bill is high. What can I do?

    It's possible that you have a leak in your home or your household is using a lot more water than usual. Find out more about leaks, and call the Clearwater Utility Customer Service Department at (727) 562-4600 to speak with one of our customer service representatives.

  • How can I request a payment arrangement due to a leak in my home?

    Contact Utility Customer Service or call (727) 562-4600.
  • My gas bill is much higher now than last year, why?

    Many factors contribute to the fuel consumption of an appliance such as the age of the equipment, efficiency, maintenance, lifestyle of the occupants, number of people in the home, type of appliances and weather conditions. Note: usage will vary for each customer.

  • How can I pay my bill by direct debit from my checking or savings account?

    The city of Clearwater offers a direct debit service. Your monthly bill amount will be deducted from your checking or savings account 10 calendar days after your statement date that is noted on the top left-hand corner of your bill. Complete the Direct Debit Application Form, and return to the provided address. Remember to attach a voided check.
  • How do I read my natural gas or propane gas bill?

  • Where can I find the rates for city of Clearwater Utility Services?

    Rates for utility services provided by the city of Clearwater (Water, Wastewater, Lawn Water, Reclaimed Water, Gas, Solid Waste/Recycling, Stormwater utilities) are contained in Appendix A of the City Code.

  • My name has changed. How do I update my account?

    If your name has changed due to marriage or divorce, mail a copy of your marriage license or dissolution papers to the city of Clearwater, Utility Customer Service Dept., P.O. Box 4748, Clearwater, FL 33758-4748. You also can fax it to (727) 562-4629. If you have questions or want to speak to a customer service representative, call (727) 562-4600.

  • My spouse is deceased. How do I change the name on my account?

    Mail a copy of the death certificate to city of Clearwater, Utility Customer Service Dept., P.O. Box 4748, Clearwater, FL 33758-4748, or or you can fax it to (727) 562-4629.

  • When is my deposit refunded?

    Deposits for residential utility service may be refunded after 12 months of service, provided that a good payment record has been established. A good payment record would be: no more than 2 past due notices (penalty charges) in 12 months, no bounced checks/NSFs, and no disconnection for non-payment of bill. The security deposit is applied against any outstanding balance when the utility account is closed.

  • Do I receive interest on my security deposit?

    Yes. Interest on cash deposits is credited to accounts annually at the current interest rate.

  • How do I connect/disconnect my utility services?

    To connect or disconnect utility services, call Utility Customer Service at (727) 562-4600. Utility Customer Service attempts to accommodate requests for service connection/disconnection during normal business hours. In order to allow efficient scheduling of resources, customers are requested to provide at least one business day notice for service connects and disconnects.

    The city of Clearwater requires that the customer provide proof of ownership or occupancy. For an owner, this can be in the form of a settlement statement, deed, title or purchase agreement. For a tenant, this can be in the form of a lease or a written letter of authorization from the property owner, if a lease is not available.

  • Do I need a deposit to connect my utility services?

    In general, payment of a security deposit equal to two (2) times the average monthly bill is required at the time utility service is requested.

    Applicants for residential utility service may satisfy the deposit requirement by producing a letter of referral from another utility that confirms that the customer has established a good payment record for 12 consecutive months. In general, such referral letters should be received prior the date when service is requested to begin.

    Applicants for non-residential utility service must place a cash deposit before utility service will be connected. Alternatives to a cash deposit for nonresidential accounts include a Surety Bond (obtained through an insurance company) and an Irrevocable Bank Letter of Credit. Such alternatives are subject to acceptance by the city of Clearwater. Detailed information about these alternatives is available upon request.

  • I do not have my gas / water service on. Who do I call?

    Call the city of Clearwater's Utility Customer Service at (727) 562-4600.

  • I received a watering restriction violation on my door. Who do I call?

    You will need to call the city of Clearwater's Code Compliance team at (727) 562-4720.

  • What is Stormwater?

    Stormwater is water above the ground that comes from rainfall and storms. It can threaten Clearwater’s lakes, creeks and bays. Stormwater floods streets and roads during major storms. 

  • Why is stormwater a problem?

    After a heavy summer rain, stormwater runs off buildings, homes and streets and carries pollutants, such as oils, greases and fertilizers. This stormwater runs through hundreds of miles of ditches and underground pipes. Then, it is discharged into Clearwater Bay, Old Tampa Bay, the Gulf of Mexico and other surface waters. Debris that is in the street, sidewalk, driveway, and even yards will end up on our beaches, polluting them and making them unsafe for our children and visitors.

  • What is a stormwater service utility, and why do we need it?

    A stormwater service utility is a system that charges a fee for stormwater services, just like a water or sanitation utility. Fees are used for engineering services, operation and maintenance of the stormwater infrastructure, and capital improvements to control flooding and improve water quality.

  • How do I place my water and solid waste service on dormant status?

    You may place your services in dormant status while you're away from your home for a long period of time by calling Utility Customer Service at (727) 562-4600.

  • Why do I have to pay for services when I am not occupying the residence?

    With regard to sewer/wastewater services:

    A minimum bill is rendered even though the water meter has been temporarily turned off to any location that is connected to the wastewater collection system, per City Code Ordinance 32.190.

    With regard to stormwater:

    Fees are used for engineering services, operation and maintenance of the stormwater infrastructure, and capital improvements to control flooding and improve water quality. The stormwater drainage utility fee is billed and collected with the monthly utility bill for those parcels of land using any other of the city utilities, per City Code Ordinance 32.244.

    With regard to solid waste collection:

    The solid waste collection and disposal charges are applicable until all municipal utilities, including lawn (water) meters, are disconnected, per City Code Ordinance 32.278.

  • What if I forgot my Password?

    If you've lost or forgotten your password, you may reset it here:

    You will need the following information to reset your password:

    User name

    Email address

    Account number

    Answers to security questions