“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.”
- John Holmes
How Can You Help?
GIVE A HAND UP, NOT A HAND OUT
Street feeding without comprehensive services enables homeless persons to sustain their lifestyle on the street and does not address drug/alcohol addictions, mental health issues, and other chronic conditions that contribute to homelessness.
Handing money and food are enabling behaviors. Instead, please redirect your generosity to homeless programs that provide sanitary meals, housing, medical assistance, job referrals and other professional services to homeless individuals and/or families with children.
Supporting local social service providers is the best way to help and potentially offer a real life change to someone in need.
Please redirect your donations to one of our local partners. If you wish to volunteer contact your nearest service provider.
- HEP (Homeless Empowerment Program), 1120 N. Betty Lane, (727) 442-9041, https://www.hepempowers.org/
Pinellas Hope – Catholic Charities, 5726 126th Avenue N., (727) 556-6397, www.pinellashope.org
Pinellas Safe Harbor, 14840 49th Street N., (727) 464-8058, http://www.safeharborpinellas.org/
RCS Pinellas, www.rcspinellas.org
RCS Food Bank, 700 Druid Road E., (727) 443-4031
RCS Grace House, Emergency Shelter for Families, 1552 S. Myrtle Avenue, (727) 446-5964
The Haven of RCS, Domestic Violence Services, 24 hours/7 days a week, (727) 442-4128
RCS Thrift Store, 290 East Bay Drive, Largo (727) 531-6266
- Directions for Living, 1437 S. Belcher Road, (727) 524-4464, http://www.directionsforliving.org/
The Salvation Army of Upper Pinellas, 1521 Druid Road E., (727) 446-4177, http://www.salvationarmyflorida.org/clearwater/
Additional non-profits, social service providers, and programs in Pinellas County that work with homeless individuals, families, and children or those at-risk of becoming homeless:
- Pinellas County Homeless Leadership Board, www.pinellashomeless.org
- Boley Centers, 445 31st Street N., St. Petersburg, (727) 821-4819, http://www.boleycenters.org/
- Clearwater Free Clinic, 707 N. Ft. Harrison Avenue, Clearwater, (727) 447-3041, http://www.clearwaterfreeclinic.org/
- Daystar Life Center, 226 6th Street S., St. Petersburg, (727) 825-0442, daystarlife.com
- Nourish to Flourish, http://www.bethdillinger.org/nourish_to_flourish.html
- PEMHS (Personal Enrichment Mental Health Services), 11254 58th Street N., Pinellas Park, (727) 545-6477, www.pemhs.org
- West Care Gulf Coast of Florida Inc.– A Turning Point, 1801 5th Avenue N., St. Petersburg, (727) 502-0188, ext. 333, www.westcare.com
City of Clearwater volunteers during the Pinellas County Point in Time Count and Survey in 2017.