Residential Garbage Collection

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Residential Garbage Collection

The city of Clearwater provides once-a-week garbage collection. The Clearwater Solid Waste/Recycling Department also encourages customers to sign up for its recycling incentive program, Recycling Perks.

Black Barrel Garbage Container

  • Place garbage other than yard waste in your container; close the lid; be sure nothing hangs down the sides of the barrel.
  • Yard waste is recycled. Bag or box uncontaminated leaves and grass clippings; cut tree limbs and brush into four-foot lengths and bundle them. Place them at the curb, not in your black or blue barrel.
  • Place your container at the curb no earlier than 7 p.m. on the night prior to your collection day and no later than 7 a.m. that morning.
  • Remove the container from the curb no later than 7 a.m. on the day following collection.
  • Place the container within 2 feet of the curb with the handle facing away from the curb.
  • Do not place your container within 3 feet of your recycling bin or other obstructions, i.e., mailboxes, parked cars, trees and wires.
  • It is your responsibility to keep your container clean. Wash it periodically with a hose and mild soap.
  • Drain and wrap wet garbage prior to placing in your container. Bag lightweight material, such as Styrofoam "peanuts," shredded paper, etc.
  • Do not place the following items in your container: hot ashes, yard waste, concrete, electronics, dirt, sod, sand, plaster, carpeting, lumber, plasterboard, tile, bricks, roofing shingles or any other construction, remodeling or demolition debris.
  • It is illegal to dispose of the following materials in your black or blue barrel: tires, auto batteries, pool chemicals, toxic or flammable items or liquid paint. Paint cans will get crushed and leak onto your streets. Leave lids off latex paint cans to allow the paint to dry out, or saturate with newspaper, then place in your container.
  • Oil-based paint, other chemicals, and electronics must be disposed of at the County's Household Electronics & Chemical Collection Center, or at scheduled mobile chemical collection events. Call (727) 464-7500 for information.

* The Solid Waste truck is on a scheduled route and cannot return if your container is not put out according to the above-listed guidelines.

Yard Waste & Bulk Collection

In addition to once-a-week garbage collection, the Solid Waste/Recycling Department provides for the collection of yard waste and scrap metal (see Recycling), bulk debris and miscellaneous household items. All such discarded material should be placed at the curb on your trash day, not in your black barrel. It should be placed out no earlier than 48 hours in advance of a scheduled pick-up and should not present a health or safety hazard to the general public.

Place in separates piles as follows:

  • Yard waste
  • Household appliances, steel, aluminum and any other metal products
  • Miscellaneous - furniture, beds, etc. (Small items such as dishes, lamps, clothing, etc., should be bagged or boxed.)

The Solid Waste/Recycling Department's "Jaws" or grapple truck is equipped with a clam bucket attached to a hydraulically-operated boom with a 400 lb. weight capacity. Its purpose is to collect bulk debris that is too heavy or too large for standard collection. Debris placed at the curb for collection by this truck should be placed in an area free from obstructions (overhead wires, trees, poles or mailboxes). Logs more than 4 inches in diameter and tree stumps should be kept separate from other yard waste and will be picked up by this "Jaws" truck. Call (727) 562-4920.

Residential Container Maintenance

If your container is damaged:

  • Contact the Solid Waste Department at (727) 562-4920, and report the type of damage or repair required. Be sure to provide your service address.
  • Containers needing repair or replacement must be emptied, washed out and placed at the curb.
  • The city is not responsible for repair or replacement of containers at no charge when damage is caused by abuse or negligence.

If your container is stolen or vandalized:

  • Call the city of Clearwater Police Department at (727) 562-4200 as soon as possible. Request a police report number for reference.
  • Call the Solid Waste/Recycling Department at (727) 562-4920 and give the supervisor your police report number and service address.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer