Do you own a home in need of repairs?
Are you considering buying a home?
The city of Clearwater's Housing Division and its community partners may be able to help.
Down payment and closing costs assistance and/or rehabilitation loans are available for eligible households.
To be eligible for the city of Clearwater’s Housing Rehabilitation Loan program, your property must be your primary residence and located within the city limits of Clearwater.
Property must be one of the following:
- Single-family residence
Your rehabilitation plans must address all code related repairs found in the home.
Financing of certain items such as window treatments, swimming pools and spas cannot be included as part of the program.
The assistance will be in the form of a deferred payment or low interest loan. A deferred payment loan allows the borrower to delay repayment on the loan as long as they reside in the home with no default in the terms.
Priority will be given to persons with special needs defined in s.420.0004, Florida Statutes and elderly household homes that need renovations to allow them to remain independent in their homes and prevent them from having to move into an assisted living type arrangement. Improvements may include things as:
- Wheelchair ramps
- Widening of doorways
- Lowering of cabinets
- Installation of grab bars
- Visual guiding systems for the hearing impaired
For more information on the rehabilitation program, please contact Terry Malcolm-Smith, the city's housing coordinator, at (727) 562-4036.
Loan funds are available to help homebuyers cover part of their down payment and closing costs when purchasing a home.
The city of Clearwater through its approved non-profit housing agencies provide down payment and closing costs assistance to income eligible households who meet program criteria. Assistance is provided in the form of a loan which is deferred for the first five (5) years with payment commencing after the deferred period and amortized over twenty (20) years. The property to be purchased must be the borrower’s principal residence. The maximum loan amount is $20,000 for existing homes and $45,000 for newly constructed homes. The maximum sales price is $210,000 for existing homes and $229,000 for newly constructed homes. For more information on the Homebuyer Assistance Program, please contact Tampa Bay Community Development Corporation at (727) 442-7075 or Clearwater Neighborhood Housing at (727) 442-4155.
Homeownership Education Class:
Borrowers must have completed at least eight (8) hours of education through a HUD-approved housing counseling agency prior to receiving assistance. Below is a list of HUD-approved agencies that are currently contracted through the City of Clearwater.
- Tampa Bay Community Development: 727-442-7075
- Clearwater Neighborhood Housing Services: 727-442-4155
- Bright Community Trust: 727-475-1365
For a list all HUD-approved agencies visit www.hud.gov.
Requirements for all programs
- Borrowers/Participants must meet program income guidelines.
- Homes must be in the city limits of the city of Clearwater.
- Borrowers/Participants must provide documentation on their household income and assets along with other program requirements.
- All programs are governed by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, the state of Florida- State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) Program and the city of Clearwater’s Economic Development and Housing Department – Housing Division.
Information you will need to provide
Borrowers/Participants seeking rehabilitation assistance must provide the following items at a minimum:
- A copy of the deed
- Proof of homeowner's insurance
Must meet income eligibility as shown in the charts below: