File a Recorded Notice of Commencement

Do you have a permit with a contract price greater than $2,500 or are you repairing or replacing an existing heating or air conditioning system with a project value exceeding $15,000 and need to schedule an inspection? You will need to submit a recorded Notice of Commencement to the city of Clearwater.


Step 1.Gather your information

You'll need your permit details to file a Notice of Commencement.

Step 2.Complete a Notice of Commencement application

  • Download and fill out a Notice of Commencement form.
  • Most forms only require you to complete lines 1-4.
  • Get it notarized.
  • Attach the payment bond if there is a surety (check line 5).
  • Include your city permit number on the top-right corner of the application.

Download the form

Step 3.Record the form with Pinellas County

Record your Notice of Commencement with Pinellas County. Visit the Pinellas County website for detailed information on recording methods, fees, hours of operation and contact information.

Step 4.Submit the recorded Notice of Commencement with the city

Once your Notice of Commencement (NOC) is recorded with Pinellas County, submit the recorded notice with the city of Clearwater. If you have submitted your permit through the city’s online permit system ePermits, you must upload the recorded NOC with your permit documents. Otherwise, this should be submitted with your paper building permit application using the city’s Drop Box. 

Submit your recorded “Notice of Commencement” online 

Step 5.Schedule your inspection

The permit and planning project lookup tool allows you to schedule inspections online.

Schedule an inspection

If you don't know what inspections you need, please contact your inspector. You can find the information on the bottom of the permit. If you need further assistance, call (727) 562-4567.

Step 6.Post your “Notice of Commencement” at the job site

Please post the certified copy of the recorded Notice of Commencement at the job site for inspection. You cannot schedule inspections until you submit the recorded Notice of Commencement with our office.